This recipe was sent in by Richard Yokley. Richard is a retired firefighter who has had a couple of his recipes published in FDNY‘s Jon Sineno‘s 1996 ‘New Firefighter’s Cookbook’.
Add more of everything if larger firehouse or a very hungry 4-6. The guys at the station really enjoyed this meal.
Ingredients: (may vary a bit as I never made it the same way)
- 2 whole Chickens (or 5-6 breast pieces)
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 large can diced stewed tomatoes
- 1 can tomato soup
- ½ to 1 cup salsa (mild or hot to taste)
- 1 can sliced green chilies
- 1 tsp Parsley
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup (or small can) sliced mushrooms
- Minute rice or steamed rice
If using whole chicken boil to remove bones. If using breast pieces boil or pan fry until no longer pink, leave in large pieces and set aside in large pot. Sauté onion, garlic, and bell pepper – add to chicken. Add tomatoes soup, salsa, and seasonings. Bring all to the boil and simmer for at least 1 hour. Add green chilies and mushrooms 15 minutes prior to serving. Serve over rice.